REPORT FROM THE COMMISSION TO THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT, THE COUNCIL, THE EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL COMMITTEE AND THE COMMITTEE OF THE REGIONS on the implementation of EU waste legislation, including the early warning report for Member States at risk of missing the 2020 preparation for reuse/recycling target on municipal waste
1. These reports from the Commission provide information and analysis on the implementation of key elements of waste legislation by 14 Member States regarded by the Commission as at risk of missing the 2020 target for preparation for reuse and recycling. It identifies the challenges that prevent full compliance and provide recommendations for how to improve reuse and recycling for certain waste streams. The report is based on information provided in national implementation reports for the 2013-2015 period.
2. EU legal obligations on the management of municipal waste (waste from households and similar waste) are laid down in the Waste Framework Directive. These include a 50% municipal waste preparing for re-use/recycling target to be achieved by 2020. This Directive was revised in 2018 by Directive (EU) 2018/851 adopted on 30 May 2018. The revised Directive introduces a system of early warning reports to assess Member States’ progress towards achieving future recycling targets for 55% in 2025, 60% in 2030 and 65% in 2035 three years ahead of respective deadlines.
3. In order to help Member States meet the 2020 target, the Commission has conducted its first early warning study on this target. 14 member states have been identified by the Commission as at risk of missing the 2020 target of 50% and have been issued with Early Warning Reports. These countries are Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Latvia, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia and Spain. The UK has not been issued with an early warning report. The exercise concluded that if no additional policy action is taken, some of the Member States concerned would not meet the 50% target by 2025.
- 12500/18 - 502 KB - pdf
- 12500/18 + ADD 1 - 407 KB - pdf
- 12500/18 + ADD 10 - 449 KB - pdf
- 12500/18 + ADD 11 - 435 KB - pdf
- 12500/18 + ADD 12 - 455 KB - pdf
- 12500/18 + ADD 13 - 451 KB - pdf
- 12500/18 + ADD 14 - 436 KB - pdf
- 12500/18 + ADD 15 - 436 KB - pdf
- 12500/18 + ADD 2 - 427 KB - pdf
- 12500/18 + ADD 3 - 449 KB - pdf
- 12500/18 + ADD 4 - 461 KB - pdf
- 12500/18 + ADD 5 - 436 KB - pdf
- 12500/18 + ADD 6 - 440 KB - pdf
- 12500/18 + ADD 7 - 445 KB - pdf
- 12500/18 + ADD 8 - 461 KB - pdf
- 12500/18 + ADD 9 - 449 KB - pdf
- EM 12500/18 - 597 KB - pdf