Proposal of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy to the Council for a Council Decision in support of an Africa- China-Europe dialogue and cooperation on preventing the diversion of arms and ammunition in Africa
1. The EU is seeking to finance a three-year project in support of an Africa-China-Europe dialogue and cooperation on preventing the diversion of arms and ammunition in Africa. The Council Decision is likely to be adopted in July 2019.
2. This is a tri-lateral project which aims to help combat the diversion of arms and ammunition in Africa. The Decision has two main objectives:
- to raise the awareness of stakeholders in Africa, China and the EU on how the illicit flow of arms, in particular Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) and their ammunition, to unauthorised actors exacerbates insecurity and violence in parts of Africa, therefore undermining social cohesion, public security, socio-economic development and the effective functioning of state institutions;
- to promote accountability and responsibility with regard to the legal arms trade, and by demonstrating towards stakeholders in Africa, China and the EU how effective arms export control can contribute to mitigating the risk of diversion of arms into the illicit market.
3. The objectives will be achieved through the creation of a non-governmental Expert Working Group (EWG) with arms control experts from Africa, China and the EU. The main tasks of the EWG will be to increase awareness and engagement and bring about action by the policy communities in Africa, China and the EU, and to strengthen regional and international cooperation to prevent the diversion of arms and ammunition in Africa. It is hoped the EWG will become the foundation for future dialogue promoted by this Council Decision. Seminars, research papers and bilateral meetings between officials will build upon the work of the EWG.
|Topic||Common Security and Defence Policy|