Proposal for a COUNCIL DECISION establishing the position to be adopted on behalf of the European Union in the Joint Committee established by the Agreement on the withdrawal of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland from the European Union and the European Atomic Energy Community as regards the adoption of a decision to amend the Agreement
1. The European Commission is proposing the adoption of a Council Decision approving the EU’s position in regard to a Withdrawal Agreement Joint Committee Decision to amend Part I of Annex I of the Withdrawal Agreement by amending the list of recommendations and decisions.
2. The proposal does not require a UK response. Once the Council of the European Union has adopted the position, the Decision will be agreed jointly, at a political level, by the UK and the EU in the Joint Committee and will be binding. The Government agrees with the proposal and has reviewed the amendments.
3. The Withdrawal Agreement entered into force at 11 p.m. GMT on 31 January 2020 and sets out the arrangements for the orderly withdrawal of the UK from the European Union and European Atomic Energy Community. The Joint Committee was established under Article 164(1) of the Withdrawal Agreement and is composed of representatives of both the UK and the EU. The mandate of the Joint Committee is set out in Article 164 of the Withdrawal Agreement, and includes:
• supervising and facilitating the implementation and application of the Withdrawal Agreement;
• deciding on the tasks of the specialised committees and supervising their work;