JOINT COMMUNICATION TO THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND THE COUNCIL ELEMENTS FOR AN EU STRATEGY ON AFGHANISTAN
1. The attached document sets out the Commission’s view on the priorities for the next EU Strategy on Afghanistan, in line with the Foreign Affairs Council Conclusions of 18 July 2016. The Joint Communication proposes that the EU focuses its work on the following areas:
• Promoting peace, stability, and regional security;
• Strengthening democracy, the rule of law and human rights and promoting good governance and women’s empowerment;
• Supporting economic and human development; and
• Addressing challenges relating to migration.
2. The Joint Communication is consistent with the UK position on the priorities for EU engagement on Afghanistan.